Iowa School Nurse Organization Strategic Plan 2016-2019
“The Iowa School Nurse Organization supports school nurses in the delivery of health services designed to improve the health and academic success of children.”
Strategic Plan Goals
Goal 1: ISNO will promote school nurse professional practice, development and advancement.
- Keep members informed about nursing trends, initiatives and issues.
- Provide quality continuing educational opportunities using a variety of teaching methods.
- Promote National Certification of School Nurses by providing information at conferences, newsletter, and website.
- Encourage utilization of educational scholarships and recognition of school nurses.
- Promote appropriate evaluation that meets school nurse standards.
- Support mentoring of new school nurses.
Goal 2: ISNO will promote research to validate, enhance and improve the practice of the professional school nurse.
- Continue collaboration with various professional organizations, including NASN, to promote school nursing research.
- Incorporate evidence based practice through continuing education offerings, newsletters, websites, and conferences.
- Support state/national efforts to develop state-wide data collection systems.
Goal 3: ISNO will influence the development of educational and health policy at the local, state, and national levels.
- Pursue efforts to implement a nurse to student ratio that meets student health needs.
- Support legislative committee to influence legislation related to school nursing and student health issues.
- Collaborate with other professional organizations with similar interests.
Goal 4: ISNO will increase the visibility and image of the professional school nurse in the school and community.
- Promote ISNO representation at health and education related conferences and events.
- Partner with other professional organizations with similar interests.
- Promote recognition of school nurses at state and national levels.
Goal 5: ISNO will provide, promote, and develop leadership among Iowa school nurses.
- Organize and promote annual school nurse spring conference.
- Provide networking opportunities for Iowa school nurses
- Encourage involvement in leadership activities.
Goal 6: ISNO will demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
- Operate from an annual budget.
Goal 7: ISNO will be structured and governed for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in advancing its mission.
- Enhance communication with Iowa School Nurses through networking efforts.
- Utilize the policy and procedure manual.
- Evaluate the structure and operations of the organization on a routine basis.
Goal 8: Maintain and increase membership.
- Create the infrastructure to grow membership.
- Continue active communication with members regarding membership status.
- Encourage membership of other stakeholders to enhance collaboration efforts.